Friday 9 December 2011

In Charge


This is my most recently submitted poem, although it is a reincarnation of one I wrote a few years ago. This edited and smushed up version focuses on the change we must all go through if we wish to succeed - the strength that we must learn to master and handle, and the power that comes with this strength.
It's important to remember that sometimes you will be the mouse hiding under the leaves, but one day you can be the falcon if you set your mind to it. But if you become the falcon, remember the mice are terrified of you. Be gentle. Your talons are sharp.


I’m a wounded fox, hunting,
I’m the green frog’s whisper,
I’m the suffering log upon the fire
Till I surrender and become the hungry flame.
I’m the terrified mouse beneath the leaves
Until I learn to be the falcon’s wing
And her steady yellow eye.

I will be the ink, guided and bent
Until I find the power to become the pen;
And one day, the hand, gently grasping and creating
Or mapping the direction I ought to face.

I’m the bedtime story
Until I learn to be the teller.
I’m the child who hears it
Until I learn to be the voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment